From: Microsoft Connect
Date: 26-Aug-2006 06:18
Subject: Build 5536.16385 is Now Available for Download
To: Bing Bao
We are pleased to announce the release of Pre-RC1 build 5536.16385! This build represents significant progress incorporating your Beta 2 and 5472 feedback. We ask that you please download, burn and install a copy of this build as soon as possible. Immediately afterwards we ask that you report any problems you encounter. Please note the following recommendations:
If you have the time, please install Windows XP Professional or Home and upgrade. This is the preferred test path for this build. If you cannot upgrade from XPSP2 then clean installs or upgrades from Beta 2 X86 are OK too. Upgrades from any other X86 build are not supported, not of interest to us, and should not be performed.
Note: Other languages and platforms will be available soon and we will send mail when these are available.
MBC version 1.20.2421 is now available via MBC's automatic update and the "How to Share Feedback" icon. Click here to download.
Please install and use this version of the MBC on the next Vista build when submitting bug reports. This build includes support for the updated build string and minor area/subarea updates.
In general, the order of importance is as follows:
- Install / upgrade blocking bugs
- Stability / Security / Reliability bugs
- "Self-host" blockers - issues that prevent you from using the system as a primary OS
- Leaks and critical app/device problems
- New problems you notice in this build
- Regressions / things marked as fixed, but are happening again
- ANYTHING with a bluescreen / memory dump!
Please focus on bugs that meet the above criteria until Tuesday, August 29th so that we can focus on these most critical issues first.
We will be starting a thread in the Microsoft.beta.longhorn.beta_program newsgroup asking for yosur feedback on this release. It is important you reply only to that thread for this - as we both read/compile all feedback underneath it. Do not start a new thread.
What we're especially looking for, in order of importance:
- Things that worked before but seem broken now.
- Things we marked as "fixed", but you still have a constant repro of
- Dislikes - Why wouldn't you run/purchase this?
- Likes - What do you absolutely love about Windows Vista versus Windows XP or prior?
We have made a lot of progress since Beta 2 and 5472, and we think you will notice the quality improvements that we've been seeing in the daily builds. So please install the build, install your apps, invite your wife/kids/friends/etc. to play with it - and then respond to the Mini-Review post with your thoughts/feelings about it.
You may download this build here.
The Longhorn/Windows Vista Beta Team